Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Hello again!

On 8/1/2014 4:39 PM, Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> On Friday, August 1, 2014 1:19:20 PM UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:
>>
>> Crowder peas grow well anywhere blackeyes do. I prefer the brown
>> crowder. They are climbers so netting or string is a must do.
>>

> Ah ha.. I will share that with the DH, thank you. I was also thinking about cannellini and maybe Italian butter beans. I'll have to see if there are any pole type shelling beans.
>>
>> Sounds like you're getting some good crops irregardless of the squash
>>
>> borers. Those critters finally did in our squash.

> We had those too--- both the bugs and the borers (which require a "surgical" intervention). DH tries to plant the runner type zukes so that he can root a runner if he has to cut into the base of a bore "infected" vine. I help with the bugs but the borers are out of my league. Ewww. Not enough zucchini to preserve but I did make a big batch of zucchini fritters.
>
>> We grew Louisiana Long Green, American Beauty, and Ichiban eggplant this
>>
>> year. The freezer is full of eggplant fritters and the plants are doing
>>
>> well. We have grown Louisiana Long Green and Ichiban for over twenty
>>
>> years and, in most years, they are heavy producers. This is our first
>>
>> year for American Beauty, a globular eggplant, and it is also a heavy
>>
>> producer. Luckily we have children and grandchildren nearby who like
>>
>> eggplant.

> Eggplant grows so well here, especially the green ones, that it is a shame we can't seem to develop a taste for them. Never tried fritters though, so that is a possibility.

We also make french fried eggplant frequently. Whip up some egg and
milk, dip the slices into that and then shake in a bag holding flour,
corn meal, a bit of pepper, and, my favorite, powdered chipotle. Pan fry
or deep fry.

>> Our sweet chiles have done well for us this year, we've chopped, frozen,
>>
>> and bagged over thirty quart bags for later use. Now that the heavy heat
>>
>> is hitting us the chiles aren't doing as well.

> My God that is a lot of chiles. We like sweet chiles too since we do not tolerate heat as well as we used to. It's hell to get old my grandmother used to say. I had a couple "Sweet Things" on my sandwich for lunch. Some of the mild chiles, like mild jalapenos for instance, lose some of the flavor with the reduction in heat. But other chiles like Sweet Things retain a wonderful chile flavor. Which ones do you like, George? I am always on the hunt for new ones. Regards
>
> Isabella

I used to eat a lot of hot chiles but, as my stomach aged, I was not
feeling so good afterward. Used to make my own fermented hot sauce. Sent
a bottle to Barb Schaller years ago, waited several months, asked her
what she thought of it. Told me that they left bottle open all winter
and it heated the house. Most of the chiles we freeze and bag go into
various types of food. Omelets, stews, soups, gumbo, pretty much
anything cooked. Gives us a bit more vegetable taste plus a good bit of
vitamin C. If I remember correctly we only have about eight or ten chile
plants. Age may be a part of not eating hot chiles anymore, I will be 75
next month. Since I have a birthday party once every 25 years the family
is likely to whoop it up. Can hardly wait for 100. <G>

George