Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 PM posted to rec.food.preserving
Isabella Woodhouse[_2_] Isabella Woodhouse[_2_] is offline

Default Hello again!

On Friday, August 1, 2014 1:19:20 PM UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:

Crowder peas grow well anywhere blackeyes do. I prefer the brown
crowder. They are climbers so netting or string is a must do.

Ah ha.. I will share that with the DH, thank you. I was also thinking about cannellini and maybe Italian butter beans. I'll have to see if there are any pole type shelling beans.

Sounds like you're getting some good crops irregardless of the squash

borers. Those critters finally did in our squash.

We had those too--- both the bugs and the borers (which require a "surgical" intervention). DH tries to plant the runner type zukes so that he can root a runner if he has to cut into the base of a bore "infected" vine. I help with the bugs but the borers are out of my league. Ewww. Not enough zucchini to preserve but I did make a big batch of zucchini fritters.

We grew Louisiana Long Green, American Beauty, and Ichiban eggplant this

year. The freezer is full of eggplant fritters and the plants are doing

well. We have grown Louisiana Long Green and Ichiban for over twenty

years and, in most years, they are heavy producers. This is our first

year for American Beauty, a globular eggplant, and it is also a heavy

producer. Luckily we have children and grandchildren nearby who like

eggplant.

Eggplant grows so well here, especially the green ones, that it is a shame we can't seem to develop a taste for them. Never tried fritters though, so that is a possibility.

Our sweet chiles have done well for us this year, we've chopped, frozen,

and bagged over thirty quart bags for later use. Now that the heavy heat

is hitting us the chiles aren't doing as well.

My God that is a lot of chiles. We like sweet chiles too since we do not tolerate heat as well as we used to. It's hell to get old my grandmother used to say. I had a couple "Sweet Things" on my sandwich for lunch. Some of the mild chiles, like mild jalapenos for instance, lose some of the flavor with the reduction in heat. But other chiles like Sweet Things retain a wonderful chile flavor. Which ones do you like, George? I am always on the hunt for new ones. Regards

Isabella