Posted to rec.food.cooking
George Leppla George Leppla is offline

Default Powdered Peanut Butter?

On 7/29/2014 12:08 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:42:38 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> Welfare Cheese! It's a large oblong brick of yellow cheese. Probably
>> some kind of "American" cheese. It's very creamy and very salty. About
>> the only thing it's good for is mac and cheese.

> I don't remember it being salty, but yes - it was creamy. I was
> surprised by how good it tasted. I bet it would have been great in
> mac & cheese.

We ate so much "welfare" mac and cheese when I was a kid that I swore
when I grew up I'd never eat it again. But it is comfort food for me and
we have it every now and then.

The other way we used it was even simpler... a slice of cheese on white
bread with mustard. Too many lunches to count.

There were other items that we didn't use often and my parents traded
them with other people. I know there were different kinds of beans
every now and then that my folks traded away.

Where we lived, it wasn't unusual for people to be getting this food. I
found out later that it was easy to get on the welfare food list back
then... you just paid the local administrator $50 and you were in so
there were a lot of people in the program that probably didn't qualify.
This was the mid to late 50's and early 60's.

George L