Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Tender brisket

On 7/26/2014 10:12 AM, notbob wrote:
> I'm don't do award winning TX bbq, but I would like to know how to do
> a basic brisket, properly. Last time I tried (ECB), it came out
> looking good, but was on the dry side. This with lump, 200-225F,
> 10-12 hrs. I forget if pt or flat.
>
> While I'm currently between rigs, I have access to a Traeger pellet Q,
> this weekend, and would like to do a successful brisket. Brisket is
> mucho expensive, here in the CO Rockies (remote), but it matters not.
> Must have beef!!
>
> All advice welcome.
>
> nb

You have to break down the collagen to make it tender. That starts to
happen at about 160 degrees. When the internal temperature is 190 to
192 it is done. If very fatty, you can go a little higher. I smoke
mine at about 250 degrees.

I use a full packer cut and trim the fat to about 1/4" thick. If you
are doing a trimmed flat, it can easily dry out. If that is all you can
get, lard it by laying some fat on top.