View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Gruaud-Larose, Furst, ESJ

Sunday Betsy headed back to Maine, my dinner was margherita flabread pizza, first local corn, and slaw and the 2013 ESJ Bone Jolly Gamay Rose. Full but lithe, strawberries with spice and herbs, balanced, makes me happy. B++

Monday was salmon, squash, quinoa, and the 2010 Furst "Tradition" Spatburgunder.
Bright cherries, fresh acids, some sandalwood, spice. Nice lighter styled PN. I enjoy but in mid-$30s not running back for more. B+/B

Tuesday a friend, also baching as his wife is staying longer at there place in Nova Scotia, called and invited me over for herb/garlic tuna steaks, grilled squash, salad, rice, and a glass of the Chatham IPA. I'm no beer geek, and usually steer away from IPAs, but this is nice- hoppy without being bitter, lots of herb and citrus. But I can't do a beer only night so brought along the 1989 Gruaud-Larose (375 ml). As expected more ready than a recent 750- mostly resolved tannins, what is left is soft and supple. Good cassis fruit, some earth, only the tiniest hint of barnyard. Easy and a pointe, B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.