View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Willi Schaefer Spatlese with accidental deconstructed turducken

So Betsy was coming back from chamber coaching upstate, and had requested BBQ chicken. I defrosted a couple of packages of bird, and made my spice rub.. As one package defrosted I realized I had 2 duck legs, not chicken (the other was indeed chicken thighs). So, why not BBQ duck?
Our CSA box had included collards and kohlrabi. I did the collards and the kohlrabi greens in a pressure cooker with a smoked turkey leg, and made a kohlrabi/apple salad, and then made bbq sauce. Bird cooked on cool part of grill till nearly done, then finished on heat while mopping on the sauce

Gave Betsy choice of rose, red, or Riesling, she went with the latter. The 2004
Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese #10 was a bit tight, but opened up into a lovely giving wine. A Spatlese that tastes like a Spatlese, not an Auslese*. Granny Smith, white cherry, orange zest all whirl around for fruit , some honeysuckle (unless it was the honeysuckle on the fence), and a long slatey mineral finish. Very light on its feet, but with some gravitas. Pretty much what I'm looking for in Mosel Spatlese. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.