Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default American foodstuffs

On 6/23/2014 10:56 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
> American food:
>
> "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread is
> sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
> expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
>
> All true.
>
> I never understood the widespread practice of adding sugar to bread
> dough, and what corporate food production has done to meat is a crime.

Sad that she never got to eat real food while visiting. There is crap
available but so is real food.

The bread I buy has no sugar and no preservatives. Some meat is
injected, but good meat is readily available.

Fresh fruit and veggies are not expensive in season. It is expensive
when we want peaches in January that has been flown in from South
America. Most of that stuff has poor taste adn texture too.