Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C.[_2_] Pete C.[_2_] is offline

Default American foodstuffs

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:56:18 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>
> > Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
> > American food:
> >
> > "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread
> > is sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
> > expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
> >
> > All true.

> It's NOT true. She just doesn't know where to shop. You don't have
> to shop at upscale grocers to get untreated meat or get bread without
> sugar (I don't even know where to get regular bread WITH sugar). And
> I don't know what she means by "nothing is perishable".
>
> She must be shopping at Walmart. What do you expect from a nation who
> eats haggis 3 times and are always liquored up on whiskey (since we're
> carelessly stereotyping).
>
> -sw

Bingo!

It's very easy to find non "enhanced" meats, reasonably priced fresh
vegetables and high quality breads. Certainly we have access to a lot of
non-perishable foodstuffs, but all the normal fresh stuff is quite
perishable.

Mostly folks in Europe and elsewhere have a difficult time grasping just
how large and diverse the US is. If they think about applying a
generalization to the whole of Europe they might start to understand how
silly it is to generalize about the US. Each US state is more comparable
to an entire European country and there are 50 US states and a handfull
of territories that are all notably different from each other.