Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cheri[_3_] Cheri[_3_] is offline

Default American foodstuffs

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 16:47:04 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Haggis is Scottish not Irish.

> Speaking of Scottish food. I've never thought twice about Scotch Eggs
> because I thought the egg at the core was hard boiled, but I saw a
> version on a cooking show this last weekend where he left the yolk
> runny. Do you know anything about them?

There's a recipe in the old Good Housekeeping cookbook. I tried them once,
but the eggs were hardboiled as you say. I was curious as to the runny yolk
so I found this on the net:

"Timing and precision are key. First off, you need to boil your eggs for
exactly 5 minutes, assuming they're large. They should be at room
temperature before you start, and you should let them cool afterwards. This
should result in a cooked white and a very runny yolk before you fry.

The oil you use to fry the Scotch eggs needs to be just the right
temperature - too hot and the crust will brown before the sausage is cooked,
too cool and the yolk will cook solid before the crust is browned. The oil
needs to be 350F/180C; a cube of bread should take 1 minute to completely
brown.

If the temperature is right the Scotch egg should take about 5 minutes to
brown evenly, and you should have properly-cooked sausage and a yolk that's
still runny"