Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Sharp knife problem solved

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 00:08:34 -0700 (PDT), Timo
> wrote:

> On Monday, June 23, 2014 2:05:25 PM UTC+10, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 19:41:28 -0700 (PDT), Timo
> >
> > > wrote:

> > > All-the-way-to-the-heel bolsters is a funny way to make knives, but sort-of popular. At least we only have to deal with it in classic Western knives, not Chinese, Japanese, etc.

> > Sorry, I don't get it. This is a classic Western knife.
> >
> > http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/im...nife_parts.jpg
> >
> > What makes it hard to sharpen?
> >

> Compare these two:
> http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classi...dp/B00009ZK08/
> http://www.amazon.com/Global-G-2-inc...dp/B00005OL44/
>
> Note the heel end of the blade. On the Wusthof (and the knife you showed), the bolster extends all the way to the edge. This stops you from sharpening the blade all the way to the heel. Exactly how close to the heel you can sharpen depends on how you sharpen, but generally you can't get all the way.
>
> On the Global, no such problem. You can sharpen the entire length of the blade, from the tip all the way to the end of the heel.
>
> It isn't a huge problem, but it can annoy.

Thanks, so that little bump on the end is the issue? I guess I've
learned how to sharpen "close enough". Over time, I've discovered
that I don't use the entire blade for cutting anyway - so that bump is
no big deal for me. I sharpen as close to the handle end as I can and
get on with it.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.