Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: 1999 Brunello

Sunday Betsy had a concert in Pennsylvania, she alerted me when she and pianist were leaving. I took the train to the subway and met them in front of Marija's building on Upper West Side. Her husband Bruce carried a bottle of Pinot Grigio up to the lovely roof garden- nice lighter styled PG, but I didn't get the name. We all then went to Gennaro for dinner. Betsy and I shared a great grilled cuttlefish appetizer, and then I had lamb shank while she had lamb chops. I had called to confirm corkage ($30), and carried along the 1999 Lisini Brunello di Montalcino. Just when I decide I'll not buy anymore BdM, I have one that reminds they can be good. This is not traditional a la Soldera, but it's not totally modern either, one foot in each camp. Plenty of black cherrry fruit, some leather and mocha, nice balanced acidity. Good length, tannins are smoothed out. B+/A-

And corkage was waived!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.