Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Preference for Carbon Steel over Stainless Steel

On 5/27/2014 9:27 AM, notbob wrote:

> I have a 14" carbon steal wok with a perpendicular wooden pan handle
> on one side and a helper handle (sqr loop) on the other. The only
> thing I would change is to remove the wood grip in the helper handle,
> as it's gonna get burned, anyway. Is it better or worse than a SS or
> cast-iron or even a hand-hammered wok? Damned if I know.

I have one just like that. Bought it 25 years ago and it's ugly as sin
but it cooks perfectly. Helper handle never did get burned. It was
used on natural gas then two propane fueled stoves and now on the
electric smooth-top where it's not supposed to work, but it does just
fine. :-)

I think stainless steel will stay pretty longer.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---