bigwheel bigwheel is offline
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blake View Post
When looking to buy a wok, even in the Posh Chinese supermarkets they are
all Carbon Steel. I know I can easily buy a stainless steel or non-stick
coated ones in department stores.

But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
carbon steel ?
I dont mess with many woks but have owned enough pots and pans to know SS is a real poor heat conductor but maybe no more so than regular old carbon steel which suffers from the same bad habits. Copper or Aluminum has much better heat transfer characteristics. If I wanted a good wok I would spring for a hard anodized aluminum model.
Amazon.com: anodized aluminum wok: Home & Kitchen