Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Preference for Carbon Steel over Stainless Steel

"T Blake" wrote:

>When looking to buy a wok, even in the Posh Chinese supermarkets they are
>all Carbon Steel. I know I can easily buy a stainless steel or non-stick
>coated ones in department stores.
>
>But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
>reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
>carbon steel ?

Non-Stick can't get hot enough without destroying the non-stick
coating. Stainless steel works fine but simply costs more is all.
There are also hammered iron woks and cast iron woks.
I don't use a wok, for the oriental concoctions I cook a heavy
stainless steel sauce pot works fine, and never loses its seasoning.