Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default dried strawberries

On 5/24/2014 10:28 PM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> songbird wrote:

>>> anyone here done this much?
>>>
>>> looks like i might have enough this year to
>>> give it a try...

>> What would be the purpose? I've never seen commercial dried
>> strawberries, seems most folks want them fresh or made into jams and
>> jellies.

> i've seen dried strawberries in cereals.
> recently i've been enjoying some dried
> cranberries and was thinking if i can get
> some dried strawberries they would be a
> nice change. if the crop comes in as it
> looks it might, i'm going to have plenty
> to experiment with.
>
> may make some sauces and dressings too
> for salads, bbqs, etc. i enjoy cooking and
> trying to come up with different or new
> things for me, so it will be fun.
>

>> You might try a small batch to see how they turn out. I've also never
>> seen dried blackberries, I think strawberries and blackberries are just
>> way to juicy to dehydrate.

> there's not much left of them that is for sure
> but what is there is all flavor and pretty good
> if it works.
>

>> How's the garden this year?

> wrote up a large post in r.g.e. this morning.
> short version, going well, but slow with injury
> cutting into me getting stuff done. still we
> should be planting Sunday and probably into Monday
> to get things in that are in pots. seeds (beans, peas,
> etc.) i'll be planting for the next few weeks.
>

> songbird

I picked four cucumbers and two tomatoes earlier this morning, now 0751
CST. Lima beans and cukes are at the top of the four feet tall
trellises, hoping they start blooming soon. Lots of baby yellow squash
and there are four Acorn squash on the volunteers along the fence. Looks
like this may be a good year for us, depending on rainfall. The new
soaker hoses are working well so we're happy.

George