Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
baloonon[_2_] baloonon[_2_] is offline

Default Betadine discontinued: UK replacement for sanitizing brewing equipment?

Adam Funk > wrote:

> On 2014-05-09, Tim Streater wrote:

>>> And I thought that brewing was a slow process!
>>>
>>> I think mine might just take 45 x 500ml bottles, certainly in 2
>>> batches!

>> I take it you put them in upside down? Each on one of the tines,
>> f'rinstance?
>>
>> How can you be sure that will get enough water in through the narrow
>> opening to wash them out properly?

> I don't think you can. I notice that narrow-necked things like
> bottles sometimes come out of the dishwasher with some gunge inside
> them even though everything else is clean.

For sanitizing large batches of bottles, it's worth checking out the
homemade no-rinse solution that Charlie Talley of Five Star describes on
the March 29 2007 podcast he

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.ph...ing-radio-2007

I've done it, it's extremely easy to mix up 5 or 10 gallons which works
great for soaking big batches of bottles; you just need to follow the
simple safety recommendations. I wouldn't do it unless the bottles were
already well cleaned inside and out, of course.

Five Star makes Star San, and I don't think Talley would talk about this
unless he thought it worked. I generally use Star San, but I think this
is a valid alternative.