Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
Adam Funk[_2_] Adam Funk[_2_] is offline

Default Betadine discontinued: UK replacement for sanitizing brewingequipment?

On 2014-05-11, polygonum wrote:

> On 10/05/2014 13:36, Adam Funk wrote:

>>> I wonder how much iodine is left behind?
>>>
>>> A typical recommended intake is 150 micrograms a day. Significantly
>>> greater intake is controversial.

>> The instructions I have (C&P'd from the uk-homebrew mailing list in
>> 2000) say:
>>
>> You want a 500ml bottle of Standardised Betadine Antiseptic
>> Solution Aqueous (not the alcoholic one) made by Seton Healthcare
>> Group PLC.
>>
>> Iodophor and Betadine are the same thing. It is available in UK
>> chemists, although they may have to look it up in their big book
>> and therefore may take a few days to come in. You need to ask for
>> Standardised Betadine Antiseptic Solution (Aqueous)

>> If I mix the stuff at the strong end of that range, 25 ppm iodine (I'm
>> assuming that's w/v), I figure 150 microgrammes corresponds to 6
>> litres of solution. I reckon that a brief period of dripping is going
>> to leave at most 10 ml of solution in a bottle. Of course, there's
>> also the amount left in the fermenter & on other bits of equipment,
>> but there's no way that amounts to 6 litres of sanitizing solution in
>> 25 litres of beer, never mind a daily dose of beer.
>>

> Thank you. That is a reassurance!

Well, did you check my calculations? (I wouldn't mind.)

> Made me realise that one source might be an agricultural merchant.
>
> http://www.evansvanodine.co.uk/shop/...lking-hygiene/
>
> http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf...an-harmony-pre

Good point. I think the no-rinse iodine thing started with Iodophor,
which is sold for milking machines & teats, among US homebrewers; then
UK brewers realized Betadine was the same thing.

--
Nam Sibbyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla
pendere, et *** illi pueri dicerent: beable beable beable; respondebat