Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
Adam Funk[_2_] Adam Funk[_2_] is offline

Default Betadine discontinued: UK replacement for sanitizing brewingequipment?

On 2014-05-09, polygonum wrote:

> On 09/05/2014 12:17, Jethro_uk wrote:
>> I did try an iodine-based one, but it left a taste behind - ruined 45
>> bottles of beer

> I wonder how much iodine is left behind?
>
> A typical recommended intake is 150 micrograms a day. Significantly
> greater intake is controversial.

The instructions I have (C&P'd from the uk-homebrew mailing list in
2000) say:

You want a 500ml bottle of Standardised Betadine Antiseptic
Solution Aqueous (not the alcoholic one) made by Seton Healthcare
Group PLC.

Iodophor and Betadine are the same thing. It is available in UK
chemists, although they may have to look it up in their big book
and therefore may take a few days to come in. You need to ask for
Standardised Betadine Antiseptic Solution (Aqueous)

Use it at 12.5 - 25 ppm total iodine, or 1.25 to 2.5 ml/l of the
standard solution of 10% Povidone-iodine containing 1% iodine.

It works out at 6.5ml per gallon (ish), slosh it around for a
couple of minutes then let it drip dry. Apparently at 12.5 ppm its
a 30 second contact time, and no rinse.

If I mix the stuff at the strong end of that range, 25 ppm iodine (I'm
assuming that's w/v), I figure 150 microgrammes corresponds to 6
litres of solution. I reckon that a brief period of dripping is going
to leave at most 10 ml of solution in a bottle. Of course, there's
also the amount left in the fermenter & on other bits of equipment,
but there's no way that amounts to 6 litres of sanitizing solution in
25 litres of beer, never mind a daily dose of beer.

--
You're 100 percent correct --- it's been scientifically proven that
microwaving changes the molecular structure of food. THIS IS CALLED