Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Betadine discontinued: UK replacement for sanitizing brewing equipment?

"Fredxxx" > wrote in message
> On 09/05/2014 10:19, Adam Funk wrote:
>> Sorry for the crossposting --- feel free to reply to any one of the 3
>> groups, as I read them all.
>>
>> I'm about to start back on some winemaking & homebrewing after a gap
>> of several years, & my bottle of Betadine Antiseptic Solution
>> (aqueous, povidone-iodine USP 10% w/v) is almost empty & has expired.
>> I asked for a replacement at the local pharmacy & was told that it's
>> been discontinued (searching the WWW agrees). I'm looking for
>> something identical or similar under another name to use as a no-rinse
>> sanitizer.
>>
>> The closest things I've found are Vetadine & Vetasept, both sold for
>> veterinary use. They look like the same thing as Betadine, but
>> Vetadine is only sold in small bottles at a much higher price.
>>
>> Comments?

> What's wrong with using a dishwasher?

Yeah, that's what I do. In fact I only got into beer brewing
when a mate of mine told me that you could wash what we
call stubbys, 375ml small glass bottles, in the dishwasher.
Wasn't keen on the manual work of washing them by hand.

Works fine.

I have just recently got a hell of a lot of what we call
longnecks, 750ml traditional glass beer bottles which
our locals use for tomato sauce and which were really
filthy because whoever had used them had not bothered
to rinse them out after using the tomato sauce from them.

Those did need quite a few runs thru the dishwasher,
after a soak with diluted non scented bleach for a day
or so before the dishwasher, but did come good fine.

The only real problem with the dishwasher is that
it can't do PETs.

> Surely a non-eco one will get up the temperatures required for
> sterilising?

Yep, and the stubbys come out much cleaner than
you ever get doing them by hand using anything.
Really squeaky clean, literally.