Posted to uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking
Adam Funk[_2_] Adam Funk[_2_] is offline

Default Betadine discontinued: UK replacement for sanitizing brewingequipment?

On 2014-05-09, Jethro_uk wrote:

> On Fri, 09 May 2014 13:49:53 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:
>
>> On 09/05/2014 10:19, Adam Funk wrote:
>>> Sorry for the crossposting --- feel free to reply to any one of the 3
>>> groups, as I read them all.
>>>
>>> I'm about to start back on some winemaking & homebrewing after a gap of
>>> several years, & my bottle of Betadine Antiseptic Solution (aqueous,
>>> povidone-iodine USP 10% w/v) is almost empty & has expired. I asked for
>>> a replacement at the local pharmacy & was told that it's been
>>> discontinued (searching the WWW agrees). I'm looking for something
>>> identical or similar under another name to use as a no-rinse sanitizer.
>>>
>>> The closest things I've found are Vetadine & Vetasept, both sold for
>>> veterinary use. They look like the same thing as Betadine, but
>>> Vetadine is only sold in small bottles at a much higher price.
>>>
>>> Comments?

>> What's wrong with using a dishwasher? Surely a non-eco one will get up
>> the temperatures required for sterilising?

> Technically, it's not sterilising, it's "sanitising".
>
> Fitting 45 500ml bottles in a dishwasher in one go ....

....& the shortest programme on mine takes 45 minutes.

--
"It is the role of librarians to keep government running in difficult
times," replied Dramoren. "Librarians are the last line of defence