Old 07-05-2014, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.baking
[email protected] docsavage20@yahoo.com is offline

Default How is Duncan Hines cake mix supposed to taste?

On Monday, May 5, 2014 1:03:56 PM UTC-4, bigwheel wrote:

On a whim I made a cake for the first time ever, in this case a Duncan

Hines Triple Chocolate cake.

Process was pretty straightforward. I used an electric mixer to mix the

batter powder, eggs, oil and water. Used store-brand corn oil. Baked it

in 2 9-inch pans for 30 mins.

The results were okay - tastes pretty good. However the basic texture

isn't like a store-bought cake. By that I mean it's kind of dense, chewy

compared to a store-bought which I would describe as typically being

more light, fluffy.

Is there a way to make it more like store-bought?

Thanks.

Should be pretty light textured. Did you follow the directions on the
box?

Yes. I used corn oil, the recipe says "vegetable oil". Should corn oil work?