Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Now, for London broil

On Thu, 1 May 2014 10:09:54 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:50:21 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
>> Wow! Guess where I found a "grass fed" London broil. Safeway! And
>> damned if the price wasn't very reasonable. Either it's a flat out
>> deception (I wouldn't be surprised) or the organic trend is starting
>> to catch hold. Regardless, I've got a 1 lb London broil. Never did
>> an Lb. What should I do with it? Much like flank steak, most recipes
>> online involve marinating. ???? I'm a lost-cause carnivore. Help me
>> maintain my animal-juiced jones.

>Could actually be flank steak. Or it could be top round. Or even a chuck
>steak. They're all good. "London Broil" refers to the prep, as you probably
>know.
>
>Marinate it in your favorite marinade. Grill it, hot and quick (very hot
>and very quick for only a one-pound chunk!). Keep it rare. Slice thinly.

I do London broil at least once a month, almost always top round -
flank steak costs twice as much and I see nothing warranting that
exorbitant price other than there's a lot less flank steak than top
round per steer.. when both are marinated, properly cooked, and
properly sliced it's near impossible to tell which is which. I cooked
a 2 lb slab of top round last night and have half for tonight's
dinner, it's already sliced and will be eaten cold.

>I like this treatment, because garlic and rosemary, well ... drool:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...de-recipe.html

That's a slab of top round in the picture. That marinade is fine, I'd
try it... I usually mix up a batch on the fly, I tend towards oriental
marinades. On my trip to BJ's last week I picked up six huge slabs of
top round, each over 2 lbs... $4.79/lb... some will be London broil,
some could be beef barley 'shroom soup, some will be ground for
burgers or meat loaf. A good way to prep for marinading is to grab a
fork in each hand and stab alternately all over both sides.