Sammy

Default Sherry shelf life

"Graeme" > wrote in message
om...
> I wonder if anyone can answer this question?
>
> I have three bottles of sherry (amontillado and fino) that have been
> stored for some years in the mistaken belief (not mine) that they
> would mature. I'd say that they have been kept for about 5-7 years. I
> can see plenty of fine sediment and oxidization (darkening of the
> fino) when held up to the light.
>
> These bottles have never been opened and the corks seem fine. Would
> they still be drinkable? If so, how should I proceed?

Hi Graeme

The Fino is almost certainly undrinkable, they are made to be drunk as soon
as they are bottled (or before) and begin to deteriorate straight away.
The Amontillado (a Fino which has been allowed to oxidize before bottling)
*could* be okay.
No harm in finding out, please let us know what they're like.

BTW, Ron, Manzanilla is Fino: just Fino from the seaside rather than the
town :-).

Regards
Sammy