Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Janet is offline

Default cooking bacon in water

In article >, says...

> Phyllis Stone wrote:
> > In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking
> > bacon in water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover.
> > When the water boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn
> > heat to medium low and cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of
> > this and tried it?

> This is not new - my wife, whose mother was Welsh, grew up on boiled
> bacon and hates it (and still talksa about it)to this day.

Boiled bacon (in Wales, or anywhere else in the UK) is not what was
described above. It's a joint of meat, not rashers, and you don't boil
it dry or crisp it after. It stays covered in water throughout the
cooking. Unrelated to crispy breakfast bacon.

A neighbour gave us supper the other evening and served a joint of
boiled bacon with a mustard sauce, steamed new potatoes and beans.. it
was homely and delicious. I usually serve it with a parsley sauce.

Janet UK.