MrFalafel

Default What do vegans eat when they go out?

ojunk (Hannah) wrote in message >...
> I apologise in advance for my ignorance, but do vegans have extreme difficulty
> in going out for food?
>
> I was working in a restauraunt at the weekend, and although we had 4 or 5
> vegetarian options that day, none were suitable for a vegan (as there was
> cheese, or egg yolk involved)
>
> In the end the chef made a vegetable curry.. minus the cream in the sauce.. but
> the customer could not have naan bread because there was milk powder in it. In
> seven years working in catering establishments, it was only the second or 3rd
> vegan i had come across, so i am not too sure what to suggest when people
> declare they are vegan... help me do my job better!

> So does a vegan not eat anythin that has anythin to do with a loving creature
> then/

I travel a lot for my job which means I stay in hotels and eat out
constantly and rarely have any problems finding a vegan meal. All it
takes is helpful kitchen staff and a little imagination.

What some good restaurants do is have a conversation with me about
what's available in the kitchen and then just make something up for
me. One time the chef at small bistro made up a chantrelle risotto on
spot for me and it was so good he put it on the menu. I've found quite
often chefs are bored making the same dishes off the menu over and
over again and welcome the challange of creating something new with
the ingredients at hand. The most common thing for a restaurant to
make for veggies is a simple pasta dish with fresh veg sauted in olive
oil with a bit of garlic.

Many restaurants now are aware of different dietary restrictions for
religious people and people with food alergies and already have a set
'alternate' that can be prepared (usually the horrible steamed veggies
over rice).