Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] lenona321@yahoo.com is offline

Default Flour vs. cornstarch?

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:10:00 PM UTC-4, Travis McGee wrote:

> I don't know this for a fact, but I was told that cornstarch does not
>
> need to be cooked after it thickens, whereas flour does, to make it
>
> digestible.

Well, in the eggless chocolate pudding recipe that I always use (with cornstarch), it says that once the pudding has thickened, you're supposed to cook it for another 15 minutes to get rid of any chalky taste.

BTW, once it's done, one can put a small amount of that pudding in the freezer, in a bowl, for two hours - by then, it's not quite hard and it's about as good as ice cream. (I never understand why almost all ice-cream recipes call for an ice-cream maker!)

Lenona.