Tom S

Default extended maceration

"Ed Marks" > wrote in message
news
> Tom,
>
> I'd thought about doing that, and wondered if it would help to initiate a
> MLF when you tie the liner. I'm assuming by tieing up the liner you can't
> really produce an air tight seal, so having a small level of CO2 being
> produced by the MLF would help protect the wine. Would that work?

Yeah, that's the idea. You want to minimize the surface exposed to air, so
gathering the bag and tying it off just enough that the gas can escape ought
to work quite well. Opening the bag and stirring up the bottom is important
to prevent reduction in the lees, but be careful not to poke a hole in the
bag.

Tom S

Tom S