William Frazier

Default Can you rate this recipe?

W ä l r ü s wrote
> Can anyone see if this recipe looks OK? It's a natural "old style"

recipe.
> 128 Oz - Any "red" juice (Grape, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry,
> etc......).
> 3-1/2C - Sugar.
> Pinch - Baker's Yeast (Converts to about 14% alcohol).
> 2 Tsp - Lemon Juice (In place of Citric acid).
> 1 Tsp - Cream of tartar (In place of Tartaric acid).
> 1 Slice - Apple (In place of Malic acid).
> 1/8 Cup - Pureed Raisins (In place of Nutrient).
> Tea - From one tea bag (In place of Tannins).

Walrus - From your post I know you don't want to buy winemaking equipment at
this time. But, you really should buy a hydrometer. Ask the people at the
wine/beer making shop how to use it. I suggest this because your recipe, as
given above, will make a very alcoholic wine if it ferments to completion.
If the yeast poops out the wine might end up very sweet.

A good starting specific gravity for a wine is around 1.090. The gallon of
juice you will use contains sugar...different juices contain different
amounts. The 3.5 cups sugar alone will give you a specific gravity arount
1.081. So, the sugar, sweet juice, raisins (lots of sugar there) will make
a very sweet starting must.

If you buy a hydrometer you can measure the specific gravity of the juice
and add sugar until the specific gravity rises to 1.090. A much better
starting situation.

If it were me I would leave the lemon juice, cream of tartar and apple slice
out. Since you won't know the starting acid and pH of your must without
additional equipment adding these things is just a shot in the dark and they
probably will add nothing to your wine.

While at the wine/beer making store pick up a package of wine yeast. It's
cheap and will do a good job for you.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas USA