Old 20-03-2014, 03:41 PM posted to alt.food.wine
lleichtman lleichtman is offline

Default TN: Bubbly Burg, Jura Chard, Corsican Rose, ESJ Syrah

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:17:46 PM UTC-6, Dale W wrote:
Dave, his girlfriend, and her parents joined us for dinner last night, Betsy

made a chicken "bouillabaisse " , broccoli, and a salad, with strawberry

galletes to finish

NV Clotilde Davenne Cremant de Bourgogne Extra Brut

Very dry, approaching austere, I think too stern for some but I enjoyed the

zippy acids. B

2011 Tissot "Empreinte" Chardonnay (Arbois)

Full, just a hint of oak, pear and lemon fruit, good balance, not especially

long but I think could do ok in a blind tasting of say village Chassagne. B

2012 Abbatucci "Gris Imperial" rose

Predictably the best match with the chicken bouillabaisse, accenting an

complementing the anise notes. Light, crisp, good. B+/B

2001 Edmunds St John Syrah (California)

Apparently Steve Edmunds was in town, Jay had invited me to dinner but this

family dinner was already planned. So I might as well open one of Steve's

wines (especially as Dave is leaning towards Berkeley). Black cherry, smoke,

meat all combined in a luscious package. Tannins pretty much gone, but acids

hold this up through dinner and beyond. One of the all time great $15 buys.

A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine,

B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a

party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of

objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Dale Williams

Executive Director

Midnight Run, Inc.

http://www.midnightrun.org

97 Main Street

Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522

(914)693-7817 Fax (914)693-9447

Midnight Run is a not-for-profit that has been bringing together volunteers

and the homeless poor since 1984.

I like the way the Albrecht Cremant de Alsace is drinking right now.