Posted to alt.food.wine
Dale W Dale W is offline

Default TN: Bubbly Burg, Jura Chard, Corsican Rose, ESJ Syrah

Dave, his girlfriend, and her parents joined us for dinner last night, Betsy
made a chicken "bouillabaisse " , broccoli, and a salad, with strawberry
galletes to finish

NV Clotilde Davenne Cremant de Bourgogne Extra Brut
Very dry, approaching austere, I think too stern for some but I enjoyed the
zippy acids. B

2011 Tissot "Empreinte" Chardonnay (Arbois)
Full, just a hint of oak, pear and lemon fruit, good balance, not especially
long but I think could do ok in a blind tasting of say village Chassagne. B

2012 Abbatucci "Gris Imperial" rose
Predictably the best match with the chicken bouillabaisse, accenting an
complementing the anise notes. Light, crisp, good. B+/B

2001 Edmunds St John Syrah (California)
Apparently Steve Edmunds was in town, Jay had invited me to dinner but this
family dinner was already planned. So I might as well open one of Steve's
wines (especially as Dave is leaning towards Berkeley). Black cherry, smoke,
meat all combined in a luscious package. Tannins pretty much gone, but acids
hold this up through dinner and beyond. One of the all time great $15 buys.
A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine,
B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Dale Williams
Executive Director
Midnight Run, Inc.
http://www.midnightrun.org
97 Main Street
Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522
(914)693-7817 Fax (914)693-9447
Midnight Run is a not-for-profit that has been bringing together volunteers
and the homeless poor since 1984.