Stephanie Moore-Fuller

Default 50th birthday dinner from the freezer?

In article >, Darkginger wrote:
> I've got 2 friends coming for dinner this coming Saturday, in order to
> celebrate the 50th birthday of one of them (this is not the lot who are
> coming for the Chinese meal the following week!). DH has requested that I
> keep food spending to a minimum (because we seem to have a lot of dinner
> parties lined up!), so I'm looking at cooking up something from the contents
> of my feezer, plus some fresh stuff bought on the day. Trouble is, I can't
> decide what to cook, so that's where you come in - can anyone suggest
> something impressive (I don't mind spending 2 days cooking, if that's what
> it takes!) that could be made from any selection from the following:

> 2 lbs of stewing lamb

I would suggest using this and the cous-cous to make traditional Morocan Cous-Cous.
Traditionally, that includes 7 different vegetables, but exactly which vegetables
can vary, and I think you said you can buy vegetables that you don't have in the
garden. You could also do a chicken version, but I think that lamb is more
traditional. Steam the cous-cous over water or chicken broth, and when you serve it,
serve on a huge platter, with a big mound of the cous-cous, with the lamb and
vegetables stewed together over the top. IIRC, raisins are often included, but
at the moment I can't recall if they go in the cous-cous or the vegetables.

If you feel you need an appetizer, there is a wonderful, wonderful, pastry dish
that includes chicken and cinnamon wrapped in pastry. It is very slightly sweet,
but mostly savory. Unfortunately I don't know the name of it. The pastry is light
and flakey, so filo dough might work to create it.

Good luck!

stephanie