Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What exactly is 'home made'?

On 2014-02-28 3:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>> Actually I think finely mincing such terms is kind of a semantic game,
>> rather than a cooking thing. Doesn't everybody?

> Probably. I prefer to cook all our food from scratch but that doesn't
> make it better, just different preferences really.

It probably is much better.... for most decent cooks. Some people
consider being able to stick something in the oven and heating it up to
be home cooking. Some people consider throwing a bunch or processed
components together and cooking it to be home cooking. Some figure that
is has to be all made from basic ingredients to be cooked.

Take lasagne as an example. A lot of people buy them pre made and
frozen at the grocery store, while others might before the to be from a
higher quality supplier. Others will assemble them at home, opening up
cans of pasta sauce and packs of grated cardboard cheese, maybe actually
frying the meat that goes into the sauce.

Others will make the sauce from scratch.....note that jarred or canned
tomatoes are preserved foods which IMO count as home cooking. I also
consider dried pasta as a valid component to home cooking.

At any rate.... there is a line in there somewhere.