sf

Default How do you say cauliflower

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:17:49 -0700, Denise~*

> >No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

> So what you are saying is, it is correct to say the "i" in cauliflower
> as an short "e" like the "i" in broccoli, instead of the 'I' in the
> word "ick"

When you write a capital I, it's pronounced "eye".... but I
know you meant /ee/ as in "see"..

> When I look on www.dictionary.com the Pronunciation Key for the "i"
> in cauliflower is different than the "i" in broccoli
> My Websters dictionary says the same thing.

<Nodding> broccoli is pronounced brahK-O-lee
http://12.129.203.36/cgi-bin/diction...coli&x=18&y=12

> This is what I'm talking about is people who stress the "i" like the
> "i" in broccoli. This is not correct.

Correct. The "i" in cauliflower is a short "i" as in "ick"
and pig.

The only person I know of who calls it cawLEEflower is my
governator. The BIG difference among mere mortals is how to
pronounce the "au" part. Is it culliflower or calliflower?
I say culliflower.

sf