Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default have you made a homemade bouillon you've liked? Recipe plz....

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:59:44 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 16:40:49 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> not too salty, please.

> > This is a really good idea, Kalmia... but I've never made bouillon in
> > my life.

I take that back, I've made "court bouillon" which isn't salty at all
and I've made stock so concentrated that it jelled when it cooled - so
I guess I have.

> Looked at the internet and saw stuff I liked.
> >
> > I'd start with this simple one
> > http://www.myrealfoodlife.com/home-m...ouillon-cubes/

> I make mine like that all the time but I've never saved it in small sizes
> like that. I usually freezer in in small tubs. They look cute though
>
> > but if you want something more complex, try
> > http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...on-recipe.html
> > and cut the salt by half or eliminate it entirely and add it per use.
> >
> > Bottom line: I think you will be able to make bouillon if you can make
> > stock... because homemade bullion just seems to be a concentrated
> > version of stock. I suppose you can make it more like the real thing
> > if you have a dehydrator.

> That is a very good idea! I will look into that, thanks

If you ever get around to doing it, would you please post your
results? I've never been interested in a dehydrator, but this is
changing my mind because hubby likes to make soup (usually Ramen if I
don't have anything else) for his lunch and I think he would really
like it if I had home made stock in powder form on hand for him to
use.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.