Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Karen[_11_] Karen[_11_] is offline

Default Super Bowl Menus?

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:15:10 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Yes, I am going to try it since some recipes can sub quite well. I did
>>>find
>>>that with Chayote Squash in place of apples, it tastes much more like
>>>apples
>>>than even zucchini does in dessert recipes. I wouldn't have thought of
>>>hummus without your suggestion though. :-)
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> `
>> I've never tried Chayote squash. I'll look for it in the supermarket
>> next time I shop. It sounds interesting. Can it be used for other
>> types of dishes. We really don't eat dessert. Hubby doesn't like
>> sweets and I shouldn't have them, although I do like them.
>> Karen

>Yes, Chayote can be used just like zucchini for au gratins, quiches etc. I
>like to cook it, then throw it in the blender, add cinnamon and artificial
>sweetener to taste and eat it like applesauce when I want something sweet.
>It really does taste like applesauce, if you like applesauce. It can be used
>in the place of apples in just about any recipe because anything you can do
>with apples you can pretty much do with chayote as far as cooking goes,
>grabbing one and eating it raw like you would an apple is not an option
>though. ;-)
>
>Cheri

Interesting. I went over the wikipedia and looked it up. I guess I
have seen these at the local Raley's and Save Mart stores. I just
never knew what to do with it. I like to try new veggies so this
will be on the grocery list this week. Thank you.
Karen