Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Cheri[_3_] Cheri[_3_] is offline

Default Super Bowl Menus?

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:28:25 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> > wrote:
>
>>> Thanks. That does sound good and is definitely lower carb than the
>>> standard hummus recipe. I really do love the flavor of cumin too. We
>>> won't be watching the game here (not football fans here) but I like
>>> having snacks available so will probably make this anyway. :-)
>>> Karen

>>Yes, I am going to try it since some recipes can sub quite well. I did
>>find
>>that with Chayote Squash in place of apples, it tastes much more like
>>apples
>>than even zucchini does in dessert recipes. I wouldn't have thought of
>>hummus without your suggestion though. :-)
>>
>>Cheri

> `
> I've never tried Chayote squash. I'll look for it in the supermarket
> next time I shop. It sounds interesting. Can it be used for other
> types of dishes. We really don't eat dessert. Hubby doesn't like
> sweets and I shouldn't have them, although I do like them.
> Karen

Yes, Chayote can be used just like zucchini for au gratins, quiches etc. I
like to cook it, then throw it in the blender, add cinnamon and artificial
sweetener to taste and eat it like applesauce when I want something sweet.
It really does taste like applesauce, if you like applesauce. It can be used
in the place of apples in just about any recipe because anything you can do
with apples you can pretty much do with chayote as far as cooking goes,
grabbing one and eating it raw like you would an apple is not an option
though. ;-)

Cheri