Posted to alt.fan.jai-maharaj,soc.culture.indian,alt.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa
Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] is offline

Default The Surprising Appeal of Vegan Baking (for Non-Vegans)

The Surprising Appeal of Vegan Baking (for Non-Vegans)

By Tamara Duker Freuman
U.S. News
usnews.com
January 7, 2014

I am not vegan. To be honest, I'm not really even V-
curious. As much as fruits, veggies, grains, nuts and
beans are daily staples of my diet, I also consume milk,
real butter and eggs – and bake with them as well.

This is why I'm as surprised as anyone to find myself
going back again and again to a half-dozen or so vegan
baked goods recipes in my repertoire … instead of their
conventional counterparts. There were those whole-grain
apple poppy seed muffins that my kids gobbled up; some
tasty*gluten-free, teff, peanut-butter cookies; an airy,
chocolaty batch of flourless black bean brownies; and the
chewy oatmeal chocolate-chip cookies that marked my first
foray into baking with my children.

While I haven't attempted a vegan cake yet, the idea is
starting to grow on me – if only for the chance to
experiment with a chocolate*avocado-based frosting*recipe
I came across recently on Pinterest. What on earth has
happened to me?!?

[See:*Best Plant-Based Diets.]*

Shocked at my own recent proclivity for plant-based
baking, I've been giving lots of thought as to why I
enjoy making these vegan recipes so much ... particularly
when I hold no grudges against butter, milk and eggs. In
so doing, I realized that there are several very
appealing qualities to vegan baking that merit
consideration for a far broader audience than the roughly
1 million Americans who follow a strict*vegan diet. For
example:

Continues at:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...for-non-vegans

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi