Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Dangers of lead crystal?

On 1/11/2014 1:01 AM, Polly Esther wrote:

> My cake cover dome thing is thin pitiful plastic and I'm thinking I'd
> really enjoy having a beautiful crystal cover for cake display/temporary
> (very). To save bothering you all, I really did look around about the
> dangers of lead crystal and killing off myself and family and friends.
> Too much information and too confusing on the search. I'm just not
> bright enough to evaluate the difference in the dangers of lead crystal
> decanters (not the issue anyway) and the safety of a cake cover. Please
> help. Polly

For a cake dish, no problem. Some liquids are said to case lead to
leach out, but even that is minimal. We have quite a bit of Tyronne
crystal and use it frequently, even for alcoholic beverages. .

I found this interesting.
http://www.riedel.com/all-about-ried...-lead-crystal/
WHAT IS LEAD CRYSTAL?

In 1674, Ravenscroft discovered the positive effect of adding lead oxide
to the glass composition (quartz, chalk, soda and potassium). Since
then, the highest quality, finest glassware, has been executed in lead
crystal. Today the word "lead" has a negative connotation. However the
"lead" oxide in glass is totally integrated into the molecular
structure, which enables us to continue to use it. Regarding lead
leaching, worldwide legal standards are met and also surpassed. This
legal and official authorization, which allows the production of
drinking vessels executed in lead crystal, proves that consumers may use
lead crystal on a daily basis and do not need to be concerned about any
risk to health.