Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dangers of lead crystal?

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> My cake cover dome thing is thin pitiful plastic and I'm thinking I'd
> really enjoy having a beautiful crystal cover for cake display/temporary
> (very). To save bothering you all, I really did look around about the
> dangers of lead crystal and killing off myself and family and friends.
> Too much information and too confusing on the search. I'm just not bright
> enough to evaluate the difference in the dangers of lead crystal decanters
> (not the issue anyway) and the safety of a cake cover. Please help.
> Polly

Would be fine so long as it doesn't touch the cake. Just put the cake on a
close fitting cake board. You can get fancy looking ones at a shop that
sells cake decorating supplies. Failing that then use whatever you have in
the house such as plastic wrap, waxed paper or foil. Trim it as closely as
possible to fit the cake. And if anything still shows, then just pipe some
icing around the bottom or use some other form of decoration.

I have very little lead crystal any more. Half of my wine glasses broke as
did most of my candy dishes and the flower vase, all purchased in the late
70's/early 80's at Princess House parties.

I think the only piece I have is a candy bowl that currently has Splenda
packets in it.

It is my understanding that the greatest danger of lead crystal is to
children and that putting liquid in it such as wine causes more lead to
leach out than it would be for a more dry type of food. That being said, I
will only use mine now for wrapped things. Just to be safe.