bigwheel bigwheel is offline
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave West View Post
Novice has started making ginger beer using this on-line recipe.

Ginger beer recipe - Channel4 - 4Food

He suggests adding a little honey. Would there be any purpose to this, other
than very slightly changing the taste?

I'm using Allison's dried baking yeast which I know is not as alcohol
tolerant as wine yeast. I understand that 100 gm of granulated sugar to one
litre of water gives about 5% of alcohol by volume roughly.

I would like to increase the alcohol content slightly, so just as a rough
guide; what would likely be the most sugar I could add per litre at the
onset of the process, without the fermentation process choking up?
Never took the Limey killograms class but for 5 gallons of water 7 lbs of sugar works well for bread yeast. For distillers yeast it can be pushed to ten pounds but its best to be added at increments. Si si?