Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What's for Christmas Dinner?

On 12/23/2013 8:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 12/23/2013 11:23 AM, KROM wrote:
> : > I wasn?t calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
> : > friends to eat..period.
>
> : That is what I was getting at too. What did you think I meant?
> : Ambush them with holy water? I was only talking about the
> : secular portion. You are celebrating, have lots of food,
> : your friends of another faith are not, invite them in. Pig
> : out together. Watch the Packers lose (again). No proselytizing
> : involved -- just friendship. Would you really want your friends
> : to be alone on Christmas?
> You are celebrating something that has caused a great deal of pain to Jews
> over the millenia. We really don't want to share your holiday, bt, at
> this time, some 70 or so years after the hend of the Holocaust, we are
> happy you are enjoying your holiday, with all its religious and secular
> aspects, but do let us enjoy our own and we can have nice and happy meals
> together on totally secular dys and on occasions like the US thanksgiving
> which really is clelebrated as E Pluribus Unem with a central turkey adn
> side dishes form many of the cultures that have become part of the US over
> the centuries.
>
> New Years eve and Day are also time we can celebrate together or even just
> a Monday night in january when it is dark early and cold, so good
> companionship adn shared food and drink woudl be welcome.
>
> Wendy

My thoughts on Christmas

We have had dinner with Christian friends on Christmas, but it's not a
holiday we celebrate in our home. When we are with our friends we are
really celebrating being with them and not their holiday. Most of them
aren't celebrating in any religious manner anyway. We send them
Christmas cards and we wish people a Merry Christmas, because we
recognize their holiday.

I find very little religion in Christmas as its celebrated in the US.
It seems to be getting more and more commercially oriented every year.
I do like the music (the best selling Christmas song was written by an
immigrant Jew) and I fondly recall the spirit of peace on earth and
goodwill to mankind that seems to have gotten lost in the scramble for
bargains on Black Friday at the stores.

When I was a teenager living near NYC, we used to go to St. Patrick's
Cathedral on Christmas Eve and stand outside during midnight mass where
speakers broadcast the beautiful music. None of us were Catholic or even
Christian for that matter, but we appreciated the "concert" for it's
musical value.

When Wendy and I celebrate holidays, there is *always* an element of
religious practice involved. Even Chanukah, which has taken on a lot
more importance than it really has, is celebrated by lighting candles
every night and saying special blessings, in Hebrew, as we light them.
The kids, who are expecting gifts, know that they come after, the
candles are lit and the religious portion of the holiday is observed.

Christianity, historically, has not been kind to the rest of the world
and anyone who forgets the forced conversions, murder and evil treatment
of those who did not adhere to the Church is denying history just as
many Muslims deny the Holocaust. Wendy's feelings are very understandable.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---