Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default Are some microwaves better for popcorn?

On 12/15/2013 2:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I tried the lemon popcorn again and although the end result tastes
> wonderful, there was a problem. I had to stop the popping because I
> could smell it starting to scorch. Only a few kernels got that way and
> overall there is no scorched taste. But because of this, about half of
> the kernels didn't pop. So, grrr...
>
> On the plus side, I still have most of the packet of seasoning #2 (the
> lemon and salt) so I can use it another time on my own popcorn. And I
> will for sure try to come up with this seasoning on my own. But this is
> exactly the flavor that I wanted. I only used the tiniest bit of the
> oil this time.

Some microwaves are better because they're higher wattage. Always use
the highest power level available. It takes some practice to know when
to turn off the power. Scorched popcorn is a common problem. Just take
it out earlier. The frequency of the pops will tell you when the time is
right. The most important rule is do not try to pop all the kernels.
Follow this rule and you will be a master of the microwaving of the
popcorn.