H. W. Hans Kuntze

Default semi-sweet chocolate - any differences?

JimL wrote:

>So I have a brownie recipe, only my 213th to try (scientific purposes,
>of course).
>
>It calls for six ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, "chopped." I asume
>that means the hard squares, in the box, and try to chop them up,
>spill them all over the place, or else in my electric mini chopper and
>burn out the motor again.
>
>Then I think: "Here's a bag of Nestle's (or even Godiva, etc., etc.)
> chocolate chips (or morsels), already in small size. I can measure
>out 6 ounces out of a 12 ounce bag." And the price is a big
>difference.
>
>So my question: Is there a difference, if both are "semi-sweet," =20
>between the hard squares and the chips in a bag?
> =20

Of course there are differences, but the chips are useable for brownies.
Try to get Guittard double chocolate chips, they are quite good as=20
mass-market chips go.

Next time you need to break your large pieces into smaller ones, try=20
freezing and grating.

--=20
Grue$$e.

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
" Strive for excellence in your life & reject being a doormat to others. =
Serve God. "
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef[AT]cmcchef.com