Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Dinner tonight

On 12/13/2013 9:02 PM, Todd wrote:

> Hi Janet,
>
> Makes sense. Thank you for the update. Is your DH a type 1,2 3c?
>
> Thank you for the tips! Quinoa is suppose to be very good
> for you. Wish it was lower carb.

My DH is type 2. It is a hereditary illness. His dad and one of his
paternal uncles contracted it at the same age, 40. He is now 72 and
very well controlled, but when he was in his mid 60's his new endo
decided that all the years of medication had pretty much ruined his
pancreas so she put him on multiple daily injections and he did so well
that she got Medicare to pay for a pump.

You would have to pry that pump out of his cold dead hands. His control
has never been better. His last A1C was 5.7 and I was in the hospital
unable to cook for him.

We travel a lot and can't always control the meals, but he has learned
to approximate carbs and will use his pump to cover. It can do a
multiple, long-term bolus which is extremely helpful on cruise ships.

He did gain some weight when he first went on insulin, but he's been
able to drop most of it.

I know a lot of people are afraid of insulin, but it's been a blessing
for him. The pills were his undoing. He is part of the Avandia law
suite and did get a settlement, but no amount of money will restore his
ability to walk up a hill or carry a small bag as he now lives with
congestive heart failure directly traced to the Avandia.

He still watches his carbs but they are not forbidden as the insulin
covers for them. We eat low carb, not no carb and I think he's healthier
for that.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas