Old 14-12-2013, 12:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 1920's Humble Tamale Pie

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
...At least the beans were good! Heh! But as I described this to my
mom, she said it sounded just like a dish that her mom made when she was
a kid. It is very economical and my mom came from a big family so I can
see how this would fit the bill there. Here is the recipe if you are so
inclined.

3 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 [cup] cornmeal
1 Tablespoon butter or mild vegetable oil
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cups canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
2 teaspoons chili powder or to taste
Salt and pepper
[snipped the directions]

I doubt that I will make this again. But if I do, I will likely add some
chilies or something to amp up the flavor. Perhaps add them to the mush.
And use another form of tomato product like sauce or salsa. Heck, I
might even forgo the mush and just use creamed corn. But then it will be
even less tamale-like and in no way will be a pie but... It might taste
better. I have used creamed corn in my enchilada casserole because it
gives a bit of a creamy texture that otherwise would be missing due to my
not being able to have cheese.

Maybe try using canned enchilada sauce (green or red) instead of tomatoes.
I think I would start with a can of red sauce and a diced

Sometimes I like canned enchilada sauce and sometimes not. But my husband
did like it! Last night I served him a huge portion to which he protested,
"I couldn't possibly eat that much!" And guess whose plate I found
practically licked clean? Hehehe.