Old 13-12-2013, 10:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default 1920's Humble Tamale Pie

Julie Bove wrote:
...At least the beans were good! Heh! But as I described
this to my mom, she said it sounded just like a dish that her mom made
when she was a kid. It is very economical and my mom came from a big
family so I can see how this would fit the bill there. Here is the
recipe if you are so inclined.

3 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 [cup] cornmeal
1 Tablespoon butter or mild vegetable oil
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cups canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
2 teaspoons chili powder or to taste
Salt and pepper
[snipped the directions]

I doubt that I will make this again. But if I do, I will likely add
some chilies or something to amp up the flavor. Perhaps add them to the
mush. And use another form of tomato product like sauce or salsa. Heck,
I might even forgo the mush and just use creamed corn. But then it will
be even less tamale-like and in no way will be a pie but... It might
taste better. I have used creamed corn in my enchilada casserole because
it gives a bit of a creamy texture that otherwise would be missing due
to my not being able to have cheese.

Maybe try using canned enchilada sauce (green or red) instead of
tomatoes. I think I would start with a can of red sauce and a diced
fresh tomato.

Bob