Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Basmati Rice

"GysdeJongh" <JonghSevenHundredElevenAtPlanet.nl> wrote in message
.. .
> W. Baker wrote:
>> clinicaltrials > wrote:

>> All this may be true, but why is it of interest todiabetics, who much
>> control their carb intake, meaning only occasional or tiny amuntf os
>> rice so why spend all this time and bandwidthon it in this group?

> Imprisonment often improves metabolic control in prisoners with type 2
> diabetes; however, the reasons for this remain unclear. Here, we
> investigated the metabolic control of male prisoners with type 2 diabetes
> in Japan. During imprisonment, mean fasting plasma glucose and hemoglobin
> Alc (HbA1c) levels dramatically decreased from 184+/-74 to 113+/-38mg/dl
> (p<0.001) and 8.4+/-2.1 to 5.9+/-1.2% (p<0.001), respectively. In
> addition, 5 of 18 prisoners (28%) treated with insulin and 17 of 34 (50%)
> treated with oral hypoglycemic agents were able to discontinue their
> treatment and maintain good metabolic control. Most prisoners in Japanese
> prisons work 8h a day 5 days a week, consuming a high dietary fiber diet
> including boiled rice with barley, "Mugimeshi". These findings suggest
> that a well-regulated lifestyle and long-term intake of high dietary fiber
> may have beneficial effects on metabolic control in patients with type 2
> diabetes.
> PMID: 17208326

I read a book about some ballerinas in France in earlier times who were
imprisoned. They said that the diet they got in the prison was far better
than what they could get at the time on the outside. Their father had died
and their mother was an alcoholic. They did get paid to be in the ballet
and they also worked at a laundry. But pay for women in those days was very
paltry. Meals were described on the outside as a small roll for breakfast
if they were lucky, a piece of cheese for lunch and one in a while a chicken
for dinner.

In prison, they didn't get a lot of meat but they had beans almost daily. I
can't remember now if there was rice but there were a lot of other
vegetables and they said the portions were large.

Here, at least from what I have seen on TV, some prisons have stuff like
honey buns available at the commissary but one can only buy it if they have
money in their account and if they don't have infractions that prevent them
from buying. Such things are also traded among prisoners. But... The
meals provided, which might not be the most appealing, are nutritionally
complete and don't include sweets. So it is likely that the inmates are
eating a better diet than they had before. OTOH, I have seen some pretty
big female inmates on those shows who do love their honey buns.