Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] bobneworleans@gmail.com is offline

Default Breadmaker Capacity and Scaling Recipes

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:27:30 AM UTC-6, Kalmia wrote:
> I have the same Hitachi I think - circa 1990 - and I wouldn't dare put more that 3 cups of flour in it. I've seen dough rise almost to the lid of the machine.
>

> Why not just make two batches of dough, refridge one til the other's ready, or maybe just let it sit in an oiled bowl with a towel cover in a draft free locale.

Kalmia,
I only need enough space in the bread pan to mix the ingredients (assuming the motor can handle the load). I use another, larger bowl to let the dough rise.

I'm intrigued by your suggestion to make two batches, refrigerating the first one till both are ready. A few years ago, I called Fleischmann's about the life of "BreadMachine" yeast and I believe was told that it's only good for 4 1/2 hours. Your comment makes me wonder if I should be using a different type of yeast.