Posted to rec.food.cooking
KenK KenK is offline

Default Breadmaker Capacity and Scaling Recipes

wrote in
:

> I have a Hitachi HB-D102 that's about 20 years old. It bakes a
> vertical loaf so I rarely use it and when I do, it's only to mix the
> dough. The recipes that came with the machine all use 3 cups of
> flour.
>
> I have a recipe for challah that calls for 6 - 6 1/2 cups of flour and
> 3 eggs. "Makes 2 large challot, about 1 2/3 pounds each." First of
> all, I'd like to know how much flour can this machine likely mix
> without burning out the motor. Hitachi no longer offers support for
> this line so I Googled "HB-D102 motor" and found that it is supposedly
> 90W.
>
> But this recipe is really larger than I need. Since it calls for 3
> eggs, is it appropriate to multiply ALL solid and liquid ingredients
> including yeast by 2/3? In other words, except for eggs, do baking
> recipes scale linearly?

Bread machine recipes seem to scale linearly ok for me.

However, four or more cups of flour seems rather much to me for a bread
machine, my ancient Regal has a max of about three cups. Even then the
loaf almost overflows the pan. But perhaps your machine is larger.