Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default What are your turkey spices?

Susan > wrote:

: I use Emeril's poultry blend for the deep fried turkey after dry brining
: it. For the spatchcocked turkey I'm making to send home as leftovers
: (doesn't usually end up on the dinner table), I'll use a compound butter
: under the skin an some whole sage leaves, and butter, s and fgbp on the
: outside.

: I'm too pooped to do it all in the two days before the holiday, so I've
: made my gravy and savory cranberry sauce and frozen them. This weekend
: I'll make the mashed rutabaga, stuffing and twice baked potatoes and
: freeze them all... there's no loss of quality I've found. Just bought
D you cook the stuffing(outside the bird, of course) before or after you
have frozen it? I usually do mine up on Wednsaady adn refrig it unbaked
adn then put it in under the turkey(on a lower shelf, not in the pan with
the bird) for a hour or so so it is freshly cooked.

IIRC you do a version of susan Stambler's cranberry dish. Kind of hot adn
sweet.

: bagettes to stale for stuffing. And fresh parsley, sage, rosemary and
: thyme for the stuffing. I'm defrosting my last container of home made
: stock. The day before T day, I'll make the glazed sweet potato and
: apple dish baked til almost done, and on T day morning I'll cut up
: shallots and brown chopped bacon and save some grease and use all to
: make sauted green beans while the turkey's being carved.

: I'm having work done on the house, the new freezer I had delivered today
: isn't working right (the door is ice cold) and I'm not feeling well, so
: not just cooking it all in the two days before the holiday. I've done
: loads in the dishwasher of china, wine and champagne glasses and lots of
: plastic take out containers I've saved all year to send food home with
: guests in.

: I'm due for a coma.

Yup!! and an insanity test:-) Feel better soon! I am doing more than I
should this yearbut I am supposed to be gettign hep from my 2 D-I-Ls adn
one is bringing fancy disposibles as I have no dishwasher now tht Syd is
gone:-) I shall put the 11 and 5 year old to settign the table so some
jobs will be given to others. We all have to watch out for the Mac Truck,
who is in the terrible 2's and will get into everything including the
garbage pail!!
Cranberry sauce tomorrow adn take turkey out of the freezerinto the
fridge. Monday big shopping after making my list adn checkign ittwice.
On tuesday I will have to shop for the stuff I forgot Moday. Also get
Channuka presents for kids into separate grab bags(One gift a day while
they are here). Wednesday is clean and season turkey(It's kosher so comes
prebrined:-) prepare vegs for stuffing. Make Ppumpkind custard. I am
trying Trader Joe's soy milk thsi year. Its lot's chaper than the usual
brands. Have kids coming in at all hours looking for breakfast, mid
morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner etc. I can t set table ahad
as I am feeding 6 of us breakfast on tThursday-same dining foyer! At lest
I will have the boards in earier.

And so it goes. Trying to keep it simpler this year. Ha! Never as
ambitious as Susan, but enough chaos for me!

: Susan

Wendy